Certification of food and food products
Food certification may be voluntary or mandatory. For certain types of food products, additional safety and quality control is established. Mandatory certification of food products and raw materials for their production is carried out in cases where their delivery is supposed to be carried out in the state reserve. The same procedure exists for products intended for domestic use.
Food products can become a source of increased danger for a person if they are made from low-quality raw materials and in violation of technological and technical regulations. Before releasing it for sale, it passes the certification procedure according to the rules of the GOST R System.
Current Food Regulations
By regulation is meant an official document with legal force and defining a list of requirements for something. Compliance of food products with technical regulations is confirmed by a certificate or declaration.
The number of regulations is constantly changing. Currently, the following food standards apply to food products in Russia:
- TR CU 015/2011. Applies to grain. Obligatory certification is made according to this regulation for grain intended for animal feeding and food use. For grain intended for storage, a declaration procedure applies;
- TR CU 024/2011. The regulation combines the requirements for oil-fat products, as well as vegetable fats;
- TR CU 033/2011. Includes quality and safety requirements for milk and products made of it, as well as baby food prepared on its basis;
- TR CU 034/2013. The regulation applies to meat and products made on its basis;
- TR CU 027/2012. Defines requirements for baby and medical nutrition, water, products for pregnant women, athletes, as well as dietary supplements;
- TR CU 023/2011. The regulation defines the requirements for juices.
Starting January 1, 2017, Rosstandart introduced a new national standard in Russia - GOST R 57022-2016. It determines the procedure for voluntary certification of organic products.
Stages of issuing a certificate for food products
Certificates and declarations of conformity of product quality are issued by special centers for standardization and metrology, which are accredited for such activities. The certification process consists of several stages:
- Step 1. Development of technical documentation for the type of product subject to certification. The manufacturer may be the manufacturer of the product;
- Step 2. Production of an experimental batch and laboratory tests;
- Step 3. Submission of the application and the necessary package of documents for obtaining a certificate;
- Step 4. Choosing a certification or product declaration scheme;
- Step 5. Obtaining a certificate or declaration.
Along with mandatory certification, voluntary certification can also take place in the same manner. As a rule, manufacturers conduct it to increase customer confidence in their products.
Certification or declarations depending on the type of food product
Certain types of food products have their own specifics of certification. A mandatory declaration of conformity is issued for honey according to TR CU, which defines the requirements for food safety. According to the same regulations, a declaration is drawn up for vegetables, fruits, confectioneries, pasta and bakery products, as well as tea.
Fish and products made from it are subject to mandatory declaration. The quality of secondary dairy raw materials and by-products of its processing is not subject to declaration. Meat products should have not only a declaration of conformity, but also the conclusion of a veterinary and sanitary examination.
Documents required for food certification
The necessary list of documents for obtaining a certificate for food products varies depending on the situation, an exact answer to all cases does not exist. Is it drawn up for a party or contract? Foreign manufacturer or domestic?
But we can distinguish a universal list of documents that satisfies most situations:
Our company is ready to provide qualified assistance in the issue of certification and declaration of edible products. Experienced specialists will accelerate the process of obtaining certificates and declarations quickly, efficiently and transparently.